Advertise Here

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cross Lighting for Texture


Please allow me to start with a disclaimer before I go any further. I am in no way endorsing any of the brands and products seen in this photo. The image shown is a product of an assignment given to the photographer. It was agreed upon by the photographer and his client that images produced from the shoot cannot be used in any commercial way except for the photographer's portfolio and other means of self promotion. Such image is simply being used as an example for demonstration purposes.

Whew!

So I was assigned to shoot these beauty products in group, and our very stylish stylist cleverly used rose petals as background where our products would lie on to have that pampered sort of thing (get it?.....bed of roses?).

To enhance the feel of the set up, I decided I wanted to capture the texture of the petals, have subtle yet obvious contrast and direct pronounced light unto the products.

Obviously, this is a top shot on a table and for this, I used two Forestos for cross lighting. I placed my lights across each end of the table, placed them just outside of the frame and leveled them. The one on the right was slightly lower just so lighting wouldn't be too stiff. Both lights had standard reflectors on. Though I wanted to isolate light, I decided against using a snoot or a honeycomb since I wanted to spill some light through out the frame to let those petals pop out. Instead, I put on socks for both my lights to soften it up a bit and flagged them to control the spill. I dialled down my aperture to f/11 to enhance shadow and contrast and didn't let any available light in by setting my shutter speed to maximum sync speed.

Hope this helps, happy shooting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment