Advertise Here

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Quickie Portrait


There are those times that you just feel lucky and blessed because you know that you won't have a hard time with the shoot. When your shooting someone who's so accustomed to being in front of the camera and can easily provide you with the shot you want, you know that you just gotta give something in return.....like maybe not take too much of their time?

Our subject for this shoot is a businesswoman and is someone who modeled for a living. So in terms of art directing her, we had our work cut out for us. The challenge was on us to make the shoot as swift as possible since we know that this model-turned-entrepreneur is a busy person. And it wasn't a surprise that she was cooperative, patient and professional in every way, thus, we wanted to do her a favor by not keeping her for long.

For quick shoots, I would rather spend more time thinking about how to compose the frame than setting up my lights. So for this, I didn't bother to put modifiers for my light to soften it up. With just the standard reflector on the head, I placed my light towards the right of my subject (camera left), pointed it away from her, set it at half power, tilted it upwards and bounced it off the ceiling. The result was this big, soft light. I opened up my aperture to blur the background and dragged the shutter a bit to let that warm tone of light in the background.

Next time your in for a quick shoot and your brolly isn't big enough to produce soft light or don't have that luxury of time to assemble your big softbox, try bouncing your light, this can give you soft light without the aid of your modifiers.

Hope this helps, happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment